Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Goals.


I want to do more.  Experience more.  I want to steer my life in a direction that makes me happy.  I want to enjoy every moment and be that person that could say I did something with my life.  I often think of what would be said at my eulogy - what will I be remembered for?  I want to have made an impact -- leave a lasting impression.   Sadly, the past couple years since graduating from Marquette I've simply been working to live and keep forgetting to see the beauty in this life.  

Now I've been accepted to USC for their MSW online program and I want to live for my work.  I want to wake up everyday knowing that what I'll be doing will be meaningful, worthwhile, and rewarding.  Its not about how much money I can make or spend, its going to be about relationships, community, and what I can do for others - not only that, but what I learn from others.  I want to expand my perspective and learn how others live and understand their world.  


I want to read more.  I want to thrust myself into an unknown world - real or fiction.  I miss the feeling I would get as I read each Harry Potter book when I was just ten (or was it eleven?) - I actually cried like a baby when a character died.  I want the pages to come alive in my mind.  I want to submerse myself into another culture and if that isn't possible in reality, at least I can live it through a story.  I want to learn new words.  Oftentimes I find that I have to look up a word when I'm reading because I'm not sure what it means...at first I thought that I was stupid and I'm sure other people know what that word means.  But I look at it now as a learning experience and an opportunity to expand my vocabulary.

I need to be more optimistic and accepting of who I am.  I'm constantly judging myself and thinking of myself from the perspective of another person.  I need to learn how to stop caring.  This will be the most difficult for me.  I'm my own worst critic.  I need to wake up every morning, look myself in the mirror and smile.  Pat myself on the back more often. Look at my strengths more than my weaknesses.


I'm pretty sure I could DIY lots of these prints. Love.
Courtesy of Pinterest and prettychicsf

This post originally was going to be a list of goals - 'x' amount of books to read this month, healthy living goals, educational goals - more about the specifics.  But somehow this print from prettychicsf's etsy shop inspired me to write out my overall life goals: to see the beauty in life, help others and learn from them, educate myself and expand my knowledge/perspective, and build myself up instead of constantly knocking me down.

Its can be corny how people are always saying we have "One life to live".  But really sit down and think about that.  Think about how fast a year goes.  Think about all the things you want to do and the limited amount of time you have to do it.  

For most people we have no idea how much time we have left on this earth (unless you've been diagnosed with a horrible illness and the Dr. gave you 'x' amount of days/months/years to live) - it can be tomorrow, next month , or two years from now.  I guess the point of all of this is try not to stress out about that deadline at work, if you're running late to that party, or if your car broke down.  Those things are the least of your worries.  Be grateful for your life and find the beauty in all things. Slow down - enjoy the moment.  Its easier said than done, believe me, as I write this I wonder if I can really take my advice, but this year I'm going to try my hardest to live by these goals I've listed.

We should never not do something because we don't have the time, don't have the money, don't have the experience, don't have the energy.  No more excuses. 

Make the time.
Save the money.
Take a chance.
Who needs sleep!?

If it makes you happy or think it will...
DO IT!

I would rather try something and fail, than to regret it and continue to wonder if I missed out. 


(Funny how I said I was tired in my last post, but looks like I've gotten my second wind!!)

Design the life you love, 
Karissa

No comments:

Post a Comment